If you've been following me for any time at all, you know that I LOVE chocolate. My usual go-to is a hearty chunk of Eating Evolved Signature Dark bar. (Use code "traceygtmt" for a free gift with your order; through the end of January it's two free bars!) Unfortunately, cocoa powder is a no-go on a low-histamine diet. From my research, it is on the lower end of the spectrum of histamine containing foods, but for these first few weeks I am avoiding all foods that contain a noted amount. The good news is, cacao butter isn't on that list! Macadamia nuts are also on the "low-histamine" list, so I decided to get creative in the kitchen and come up with a fun sweet treat that I could enjoy. What I ended up with is a batch of macadamia nut butter "cookie dough" and some makeshift white chocolate. I originally intended to chop up the white chocolate and mix it in with the dough, but ended up making some "truffles" out of it instead!
Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp brown butter (or sub coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Blend all ingredients except the coconut flour in a food processor until a smooth paste forms.
2. Add 1 tbsp of the coconut flour and process until combined. If the mixture still seems thin, add the second tbsp of coconut flour.
3. Scoop into balls using two spoons or a cookie scoop onto a parchment lined plate and place in fridge to set.
- 1 oz cacao butter
- 1 oz coconut butter (Artisana is by far my favorite brand!)
- sweetener to taste (I used 1/2 tbsp maple syrup and 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar)
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and well combined.
2. Transfer to small molds or a glass dish to later cut into chips.
To make the truffles, I put about 1/2 tsp of the white chocolate in the bottom of a silicone mold, a added a small ball of the macadamia dough, and topped it off with another 1/2 tsp of the white chocolate!
Store any leftovers in the freezer. Enjoy!