I've always loved granola, especially the kind that is perfectly crunchy, dense, and full of extra goodies like nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. It's perfect on top of full fat yogurt, mixed in with a fresh batch of homemade almond milk, or let's be real here, just by the handful!! This recipe was inspired by one that I found on The Kitchn, and I have adapted and made it time and time again over the years. It makes a great gift too!
- 4 cups old fashioned gluten free oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups mixed nuts and seeds (I used raw cashews, raw almonds, raw hazelnuts, raw pecans, and toasted sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened mixed dried fruit (I used blueberries, cherries, golden raisins, currants, and cranberries)
- 1.5 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Mix together the oats and raw nuts/seeds in a large bowl. (Reserve any toasted nuts to add in at the end.) Stir in the salt and spices.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the oat/nut mixture, and stir thoroughly to combine.
3. Spread the granola out in a single layer over 1-2 large baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
4. Bake at 350 for about an hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so.
5. When everything is toasted and starting to brown, remove from oven and let cool. Stir in the dried fruits, any toasted nuts, and the shredded coconut.
Now just try not to eat it all at once!!